FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Nutrition, Dietetics, & Food Sciences affect just about every person, every day. From creating healthier diets to preparing better tasting foods to gaining greater understanding of disease and increased food safety, our department can prepare you for a great career in the “science of food.” ,
In our department, students learn of the engineering, biology and physical science of food through our Food Science major. Students can also become well-versed in clinical and community nutrition as well as food service management with our Dietetics degree. Our Nutrition degree explores the molecular and cellular levels of food, helping students to truly appreciate the building blocks of food and their impacts on consumers. Whatever interests you about Nutrition, Dietetics, and Food Science, we can offer you a hands-on learning experience with faculty dedicated to helping teach the next generation.
ROLE OF RESEARCH:
Research is necessary to validate efficacy and establish appropriate dietary levels, researchers have identified functional food components
Research currently underway at academic, industry and government facilities will reveal how a myriad of substances can be used as functional food components
As we move into the era of nutrigenomics and individualized diets, protecting the privacy of individuals may become an issue. A legal, ethical and societal framework must be developed to ensure genetic information about food and disease is appropriately handled.
Food technology is a branch of science in which the food science is applied in manufacturing and preservations of food products. Thefood technologists study the chemical, physical and microbiological makeup of thefood. … Food technology courses can be a good career option.
Food Science and Technology Is the application of science and engineering principles to the design, analysis, processing, packaging, production, preparation, evaluation and storage of foods, food ingredients, and beverages.
AIM AND OBJECTIVES:
- To produce qualified food technologists for Food industries, teaching and research organization.
- To establish links between Teaching/ research institutions, government, commercial organizations and consumers.
- To preserve, process and manipulate the agricultural crops to avoid post-harvest losses.
- To protect our environmental condition from deterioration of food.
- To introduce novel, nutrition’s economic value added food products for local consumption and export.
- To incorporate the food industry waste for new products development.
- To provide consultancy and advisory services of food industries
- To provide diagnostic analysis of food products.
- To establish international collaboration with food science departments and food processing industries by exchanging of students & staff.
- To organize function for creating awareness about the importance of safe processed nutritious food.
AREAS OF STUDY:
- Food science: Is the study of the biology, physics and chemistry of foods, from the raw material stage, through processing, to the finished product
- Food technology: Involves putting that knowledge into practice
- Food microbiology: Is concerned with ensuring safe food supplies that are free from bacteria
- Food engineering: Includes the design and maintenance of the equipment needed for factory scale food processing
|Course no.||Course Title||Credit Hrs.|
|FSN 101||Food science and nutrition||1+1|