DEPARTMENT OF PLANT PATHOLOGY
Plant pathology is the science, which deals with the plant diseases and its nature, cause and prevention. It is concerned with health and productivity of growing plants. Main aim is to strengthen the farmers by identifying the diseases in farmer’s field and giving a better management practices.
Department of Plant Pathology undertaking the experiments in the lab and field condition to identify the various crop diseases. The laboratory is well equipped with instruments like light microscope, laminar air flow, shaking incubator, deep freezer, hot air oven , micro oven, microtome, spectrophotometer. For the benefit of students various plant disease cycle, pathogen life cycle charts and crop disease photographs/ herbariums and also wet preservation have been exhibited in the laboratory for Undergraduate programme. Major activities of department include diagnosis of disease samples, microscopic observation and preservation of different diseased samples for future use. The division is also concerned in extension activity by frequent visits to the farmer’s field in and around Doddaballapur taluk, diagonise the farmers constrains with reference to plant diseases and imparts need based IDM strategies. The department is focused on training the undergraduate students for RAWEP by providing thoughts and guidelines, how to compact with the farmers and convey the up-to-the-minute technologies.
|Course no.||Course Title||Credit Hrs.|
|PAT 101||Plant Pathogens and Principles of Plant Pathology
|PAT 201||Diseases of field crops and management||2+1|
|PAT 202||Diseases of Fruits, Medicinal, Plantation and Aromatics Crops||1+1|
|PAT 301||Diseases of vegetables, ornamentals and spice crops||1+1|
Our research goal is to understand Plant pathogen interactions in the environment in order to provide effective approaches by which plant diseases can be controlled and beneficial interactions can be maximized.
- Our extension and outreach goals are to integrate and extend the knowledge to guide the farmers.
- Samples of infected crops received from farmers as well as from other sources are immediately diagnosed for disease problem and proper measures are advised.
- To strengthen and uptake the knowledge, Faculty members of department have attended national and international level conference/seminars/Training programme.
Future Focus of the department:
- Identification of new diseases and study on etiology, epidemiology and development of different strategies for management of crop diseases.
- Investigation on bacterial wilt (Ralstonia solanacearum) disease of Brinjal with special reference to spatial and temporal variability.